LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 09:33:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 21:50 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> You should first make the cause of the problem absolutely clear, and
> only then fix it (otherwise you just hide, not fix, the problem). I
> really see two problems.

I am not trying to fix a bug.  I am trying to make a cd that works & is
helpful/useful for building LFS 6.0

> 1) You are not using the latest isapnp coldplug patch, that's why floppy
> and rtc are not detected. I have sent it to the patches list some months
> ago, the patch has been ignored as unsuitable for the book.

SOLUTION: build rtc and floppy into the kernel, which is how it should
have been done the first time round.  An oversight on my part.

> 2) REAL PROBLEM: even when I manually do a "modprobe floppy" or
> "modprobe rtc", the event is not delivered to udev (or mishandled in
> udev) and the device node is not created. Please try changing the kernel
> and/or udev versions to see if the bug goes away.

Perhaps you have time to work this one out.  Again, although I'd like to
help in finding fixes, my aim here is to make a working cd and my time
is limited.  The problem goes away if I re-configure.  The fixing of the
bug really is a matter for future LFS versions. The cd is for building
LFS 6.0, which does not include hotplug.  I'm only using hotplug on the
cd as a convenient tool.  In this context, hotplug doesn't have to work
for every conceivable situation. I only need concern myself with setting
up a good environment for building LFS 6.

> Also I have a question on the kernel quality in general. Do we really
> want to ship the "stable" book with a kernel that contains a known bug
> that prevents me from writing audio CDs, when an official patch is
> available?

Why would an LFS build cd need to be able to write audio CD's?  This
isn't even a concern for LFS, since why would a basic LFS system need to
write audio cds?  This is an issue that could be handled by BLFS, i.e.,
'you want to write an audio cd? Get this patch.' Very similar to, 'you
want to use this filesystem? Get this patch.'

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net