LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 09:55:09 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Why would an LFS build cd need to be able to write audio CD's?  This
> isn't even a concern for LFS, since why would a basic LFS system need to
> write audio cds?  This is an issue that could be handled by BLFS, i.e.,
> 'you want to write an audio cd? Get this patch.' Very similar to, 'you
> want to use this filesystem? Get this patch.

I think you misunderstood Alexander's point, and that's probably due to
the fact that he buried it at the end of a message about the boot CD.

His point is valid: we are preparing to release LFS-6.0, and the book
will contain instructions for installing the 2.6.8.1 kernel, which has a
known problem for (nearly) everyone who wants to burn CDs (audio or
otherwise). However, there is no later kernel available yet, so we have
to go with what we have.