LFS 6.0 BootCD - A call for testers

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 10:41:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 20:35 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> M.Canales.es wrote:
> >
> > - - It's possible to add an script, like the net-setup one, to select the keymap
> > and console font for non egnlish speakers?
> >

> I like this as well.  I would like to see this and the net-setup script
> happen as the cd boots automatically into rc3.

The script idea for loadkeys sounds acceptable, but part of my purpose
in making the net-setup script was to get it out of the bootscripts.
Not everyone will need or use the network, and for those who do, they're
directed to just take a second to set it up using the script.  This
makes boot-time just that much quicker and generalizes the cd just that
much more.  Any alternative solutions to my script are welcome, but
personally, I'd shy away from something that further slows the boot
process.

> I also would like to see the net-setup script tell me the ip address
> information retunred from the dhcp server.  kinda like what an ifconfig
> would do. (this is based on cd-09152004)

I can do one of two things here.

1) after dhcpcd is run, call 'ip addr show eth0' which will give you
link info and the IP address, and broadcast address

2) run dhcpcd with a -d flag, which will output verbose communications
between the client and the server.

Any preference?

--
Jeremy Huntwork