LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 11:15:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 21:05 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> Problems:
> * mount.cifs gives an error "Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1".  I
> would add every charset available in te kernel for smb support to help
> out samba.  Also, did you compile all the charsets that glibc can support?

I had noticed this too, but am a little unsure about how to fix it. (Yes
all locales in glibc are compiled.) There's a 'Use a default NLS' option
for smbfs in the kernel which I did not use.  The help on it says:

 CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT:

  Enabling this will make smbfs use nls translations by default. You
need to specify the local charset (CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT) in the nls
settings and you need to give the default nls for the SMB server as
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE.

  The nls settings can be changed at mount time, if your smbmount
supports that, using the codepage and iocharset parameters.

  smbmount from samba 2.2.0 or later supports this.

But the utility on the cd is really mount.cifs (not sure if that makes
much of a difference). There's also an option in the kernel called CIFS
POSIX Extensions, and the help for that reads:

CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX:

  Enabling this option will cause the cifs client to attempt to
negotiate a newer dialect with servers, such as Samba 3.0.5 or later,
that optionally can handle more POSIX like (rather than Windows like)
file behavior.  If unsure, say N.

The first seems like it will help, but it's all a little unclear.  Will
do some more googling on the answer, but if anyone has any ideas, please
let me know.

Thanks,

--
Jeremy Huntwork