LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 11:20:14 PDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:55:09 -0700
"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> His point is valid: we are preparing to release LFS-6.0, and the book
> will contain instructions for installing the 2.6.8.1 kernel, which has
> a known problem for (nearly) everyone who wants to burn CDs (audio or
> otherwise).

Well, you could look at it the other way around of
course...previous kernels allowed normal users too many
privileges with regard to the SCSI commands they could send to a
device IIUC.  I kinda lost track of the thread on LKML, but it ended
up that LKML said it was now Jorg Schilling's problem, and vice
versa.

> However, there is no later kernel available yet, so we have to go with
> what we have.

Indeed, it's in feature/version freeze.  Heck, the compiler has got
known bugs in it, new versions of udev & util-linux are out, etc.  We
have to stop somewhere otherwise we'll never get the damned thing out
through fear of inconveniencing someone.  Maybe this topic will end up
in the FAQ, maybe it'll end up in an errata page somewhere.  But, you
can bet your bottom dollar that in 2-3 months it'll be old news when new
versions of the kernel come out and those that _learned_ LFS rather than
simply read it, will have the knowledge required to upgrade their kernel
themselves.

Cheers,

Matt.