LFS 6.0 BootCD - A call for testers

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 11:34:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:41:23 -0400
Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 20:35 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> > M.Canales.es wrote:
> > >
> > > - - It's possible to add an script, like the net-setup one, to
> > > select the keymap
> > > and console font for non egnlish speakers?
> > >

> > I like this as well.  I would like to see this and the net-setup
> > script
> > happen as the cd boots automatically into rc3.
>
> The script idea for loadkeys sounds acceptable, but part of my purpose
> in making the net-setup script was to get it out of the bootscripts.
> Not everyone will need or use the network, and for those who do,
> they're
> directed to just take a second to set it up using the script.

Likewise, not everyone will need the 'console'  script either.  We
already have a bootscript and the necessary config files for it
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/console and /etc/sysconfig/console).  The bootcd's
README or the greeting message can point the user to the config file and
the relevant section of chapter 7.  After making the necessary changes
to the script, they can then just run the 'console' script I would have
thought!

BTW: This brings me onto another, completely unrelated, point.  My '£'
doesn't work in the console.  If memory serves correctly, when I last
looked into this, my font did have the 'sterling' mapped in it, but it
prints the equivalent of '#\n'.  It's not a major problem, as I've still
to find a case where I actually _need_ a '£' on the command line :)

Cheers,

Matt.