LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Sep 17 11:52:51 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:39:09 -0700
>Jeremy Utley <jeremy at jutley.org> wrote:
>

>>The problem ONLY occurs burning audio CD's as a non-root user, and
>>only to IDE cd burners :)  If you burn as root, you're fine.  If you
>>burn data, you're fine.  Also, isn't this the problem that was fixed
>>with the 2.6.8.1 release?
>>

>The 2.6.8.1 release fixed an NFS bug.  I thought you had to be root
>to write _any_ CD, though I could of course be wrong there - like I
>said, I lost track of it all in between the flamethrowers :( There was
>an audio-CD only memory leak though that was fixed in 2.6.9-rc2.
>
>Matt.

No, if you put your user account into the "disk" group, then the user
account can burn a CD - there is a greater chance for buffer underruns,
because cdrecord can't increase it's scheduling priority.

The solution I would use for this one myself is to create a burner
group, add any users who need to be able to burn CD's to that group.
Then make the cdrecord binary SUID root, and only executable by that
group.  Minor security problem, but sidesteps the problem rather nicely.

-J-