LFS 6 Boot CD - 2nd round

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 17 12:40:22 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 21:05 -0500, James Robertson wrote:
>
>>Problems:
>>* mount.cifs gives an error "Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1".  I
>>would add every charset available in te kernel for smb support to help
>>out samba.  Also, did you compile all the charsets that glibc can support?
>

> I had noticed this too, but am a little unsure about how to fix it. (Yes
> all locales in glibc are compiled.) There's a 'Use a default NLS' option
> for smbfs in the kernel which I did not use.  The help on it says:

>  CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT:
>
>   Enabling this will make smbfs use nls translations by default. You
> need to specify the local charset (CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT) in the nls
> settings and you need to give the default nls for the SMB server as
> CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE.
>
>   The nls settings can be changed at mount time, if your smbmount
> supports that, using the codepage and iocharset parameters.
>
>   smbmount from samba 2.2.0 or later supports this.

Right, I would pick iso8859-1 or cp435 (or something close to that) by
default as this will get most folks.  By adding support for the others,
then mount.cifs should be able to handle itself.  It really just needs
access to the nls files.

> But the utility on the cd is really mount.cifs (not sure if that makes
> much of a difference). There's also an option in the kernel called CIFS
> POSIX Extensions, and the help for that reads:

> CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX:
>
>   Enabling this option will cause the cifs client to attempt to
> negotiate a newer dialect with servers, such as Samba 3.0.5 or later,
> that optionally can handle more POSIX like (rather than Windows like)
> file behavior.  If unsure, say N.
>
> The first seems like it will help, but it's all a little unclear.  Will
> do some more googling on the answer, but if anyone has any ideas, please
> let me know.

No need for this.  Only Windows Server 2003 supports this from a M$
standpoint and of course Samba 3x.

> Thanks,

Welcome
James