LFS 6.0 BootCD - A call for testers

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Sep 17 17:11:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 19:01 -0500, Andrei Oprisan wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:33:32 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork
> <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > We need to test this cd on as many sorts of i486 or better machines, to
> > get an idea of its usability, so your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I am currently building the boot cd released on sept. 15th and have a
> few comments:
> forst of all, good job!
> second of all, could you make another build of the X server which
> includes more drivers for other video cards, except the generic vesa
> driver?
> please add the following in the host.def file of the x.org server build:
>
> #define XF86CardDrivers         mga glint nv tga s3virge sis rendition \
>                                 neomagic i740 tdfx savage \
>                                 cirrus vmware tseng trident chips apm \
>                                 GlideDriver fbdev i128 \
>                                 ati AgpGartDrivers DevelDrivers ark cyrix \
>                                 siliconmotion \
>                                 vesa vga XF86OSCardDrivers XF86ExtraCardDrivers

No!  There's no reason to add all this bloat to the cd!  All that's
needed on the CD is a comfortable enviornment to build LFS in, and the
vesa driver works just fine for that.

> moreover, after hotplug is started, could you add a line that would
> symlink /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux, so that the mouse is seen in X
> (without running startx && #getting an error && ln -s /dev/mouse
> /dev/psaux && startx before one can use X).

A good idea, but not strictly necessary, as you could either create the
symlink yourself, or edit the xorg.conf file to adjust.  Also, remember
that for many people, /dev/psaux will *NOT* be the
mouse, /dev/input/mice will.

> finally, could you _please_ include mc in the upcoming cd build, as it
> makes browsing, viewing, and editing files a much easier and pleasant
> experience. can we have a vote on who would like to see mc in the
> upcoming cd, please?

I don't mean to offend, but if you can't work your way around linux with
command line and either vim or nano, you seriously do not belong in the
LFS world.  This CD is *NOT* Knoppix, nor will it ever be Knoppix.

-J-