General instructions in LFS 6

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 20 08:08:20 PDT 2004

Hey All,

Someone came into IRC asking for help with unpacking packages.  The
instructions in the LFS 6 book seemed unclear to him. Granted, those who
build LFS should reasonably be expected to know how to extract a
tarball, but if there's a fault with our book...

In chapter05/chapter05.html under the section Constructing a Temporary
System:

'Before issuing the build instructions for a package, the package should
be unpacked (explained shortly) as user lfs, and a cd into the created
directory should be performed. The build instructions assume that the
bash shell is in use.'

Now, as far as I could see, the explanation that was promised shortly
never came.  I looked and looked after this, and while it is possible
that I missed it, I saw no further explanation about unpacking packages.

Again, users *should* be able to figure this out by themselves, (and in
fact, the user who brought this up in IRC did figure it out) but the
instructions are misleading.  Either we should include instructions like
we promised, or take out the (explained shortly) bit.

Again, if they are there and I just missed them, a kindly pointer would
be appreciated. :)

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net