File system checks for journalling file systems

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 20 14:15:52 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:

> I dont like the idea that my data could have been silently corrupted and
> that I wont ever find out until I access it - although a check once
> every month or two is all I find necessary.

There are still tools to check and repair filesystems, they are just not
called "fsck". In the case of XFS, it's xfs_repair, and you could do the
exact same thing (force it to run once per month however you want
accomplish that). I'm sure JFS has a similar tool, although I've never
looked.

So it's not like the tools don't exist, they just aren't intended to be
run every time the system comes up.