Chapter 6 - Readjusting toolchain

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 21 14:11:59 PDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:44:38 -0500
"Larry Lawrence" <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> "Matthew Burgess" <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
> news:20040921183632.799f13ee.matthew at linuxfromscratch.org...
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:07:37 -0500
> > "Larry Lawrence" <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I have two builds from these instructions and thought I had done
> > > it correctly, but in both cases, binutils linked to /tools.
> >
> > Did you follow the advice at
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/testing/chapter06/readjusting.html
> > then?  The bit in the "Caution" box in big red writing? :)  This
> > should have alerted you to a problem early enough so as to correct
> > it before too much time was lost.
>
> Cannot remember.  How is this going to catch the 'ld' file linked to
> the wrong directory, looks like it will only catch the specs file.
> The 'ld' shows up when you delete the "tools" directory.

Well, that specs file edit, coupled with the 'make -C ld
INSTALL=/tools/bin/install install' command (near the top of the
page) ensure that the /tools directory won't be referenced by any of the
chapter 6 packages.  I can only assume, that if you couldn't delete the
binutils-build directory, then you also couldn't run the
resintallation of 'ld'?  That certainly would cause you some problems!

Hope this helps,

Matt.