LFS 6 Boot CD - 3rd and final round?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 22 05:43:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 19:09 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Well, the profiles typically go by what the book lists, even though the
> book is not specific on compression formats. In this case, the book does
> not specify split-out tarballs or the combined tarball, which it _did_
> specify at some point in the past. That's why the profiles still have
> the entities needed to support the split tarballs, but we haven't used
> them since LFS-5.1.X was released.

Hmmm. The following is from current testing, gcc Pass1:

"5.5.1. Installation of GCC
Unpack only the gcc-core tarball because neither the C++ compiler nor
the test suite will be needed here."

And similar wording in gcc Pass 2 where you're told to unpack g++, too.
Likewise in chapter 6, you're told to unpack them all.  If we had only
had just the one tarball, I could see how this would be confusing to
someone LFSing for the first time.

But no matter, the gcc-3.4.1.tar.bz2 package is going on the cd, too, so
the nALFS profile will by default work, and experienced users using
nALFS will have a choice.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net