question re: host system requirements

Andy Neebel aneebel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 10:36:53 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:06:01 -0700, Nathanael Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>         I was going through the testing & unstable branch of the LFS book and
> noticed that the host system requirement was a kernel 2.6 compiled with
> gcc >= 3.x. I'm a little curious. The two reasons given for those
> requirements were a kernel not compiled with the proper gcc version
> would fail the NPTL tests. The kernel version for udev. So here's my
> question. I have a RHEL clone host system. It runs 2.4.x and I'm pretty
> sure the NPTL was backported. It was compiled with gcc 3.2.x. So I
> don't think it would fail those tests... (I think). So does anyone
> think it would?
>
>         As well if I'm installing a 2.6 kernel with LFS should udev then work
> upon reboot? Is that incorrect?
> --
> Nathanael D. Noblet
> Gnat Solutions
> 412 - 135 Gorge Road E
> Victoria, BC V9A 1L1
>
> T/F 250.385.4613
>
> http://www.gnat.ca/
>
> --

I don't think it will work even though you have NTPL.  I tried using
FC1 once, and I was fine untill I got into chapter 6 and had to mount
sysfs.  To my knownledge, 2.4 doesn't have support for sysfs, so you
won't have access to you devices during chapter 6, which is not a good
thing.  You can try, and I think there are ways to get around this,
but it probably won't work correctly.

Andy