question re: host system requirements

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri Sep 24 11:52:20 PDT 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 10:36 AM, Andy Neebel wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:06:01 -0700, Nathanael Noblet
> <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>         I was going through the testing & unstable branch of the LFS
>> book and
>> noticed that the host system requirement was a kernel 2.6 compiled
>> with
>> gcc >= 3.x. I'm a little curious. The two reasons given for those
>> requirements were a kernel not compiled with the proper gcc version
>> would fail the NPTL tests. The kernel version for udev. So here's my
>> question. I have a RHEL clone host system. It runs 2.4.x and I'm
>> pretty
>> sure the NPTL was backported. It was compiled with gcc 3.2.x. So I
>> don't think it would fail those tests... (I think). So does anyone
>> think it would?
>>
>>         As well if I'm installing a 2.6 kernel with LFS should udev
>> then work
>> upon reboot? Is that incorrect?
>
> I don't think it will work even though you have NTPL.  I tried using
> FC1 once, and I was fine untill I got into chapter 6 and had to mount
> sysfs.  To my knownledge, 2.4 doesn't have support for sysfs, so you
> won't have access to you devices during chapter 6, which is not a good
> thing.  You can try, and I think there are ways to get around this,
> but it probably won't work correctly.

Oh okay now that makes sense because of the sysfs in chap 6. I didn't
know that was happening and would be needed. Perhaps that should/could
be clarified in the host requirements section. It didn't say anything
about chapter 6 and thus I assumed it meant when the new LFS system was
online.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions