problem loading modules

Joost Gevers joost at gevers-4.tmfweb.nl
Fri Sep 24 12:40:58 PDT 2004

>>> echo "eth0" >> /etc/sysconfig/modules
>>
>> No. Please better list the actual module, e.g. 8139too. The reason is
>> that using /etc/modprobe.conf (where you probably have alias eth0
>> 8139too - please remove that) for specifying the list of your hardware
>> is deprecated.
>
> I tried this and works fine.
>
> There is only 1 thing which I don't like. The order in which the modules
> are listed determine which of the ethernet devices become eth0 and which
> becomes eth1.
>
> But according to http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php writing udev
> rules, it should be possible to give each ethernet device a unique name,
> depending on its MAC address. I did give it a try but not yet successfully.
>
> Regards,
> Joost Gevers

With udev-030 the renaming does not work. With udev-032 it works correct.

Add modules for the network cards to
/etc/sysconfig/modules
tulip
8139too

Add a rules file
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-lfs.rules
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:10:a7:06:1c:81", NAME="lan"
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:0c:f6:04:6f:6c", NAME="adsl"

Rename the network configuration directories
mv ifconfig.eth0 ifconfig.adsl
mv ifconfig.eth1 ifconfig.lan

Joost