[Fwd: Bootscripts style guide (long)]

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Sep 24 16:18:31 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> All,
>
> I have cross posted this to lfs-dev, blfs-dev and lfs-hackers.  All
> comments should go to lfs-dev.  Thanks
>
> ------------------
>
> I was working with Nathan Coulson last night on IRC.  We were testing
> out ideas for using color in the bootscripts package.  Currently (as of
> 20040923 version) we support six color codes:
>
>     1: NORMAL - This is regular console gray.  You see this a lot
>        now.
>
>     2: SUCCESS - This is green.  You see this represented as
>        [  OK  ] now, where the OK part is green.
>
>     3: WARNING - This is yellow.  Just like SUCCESS, the WARN part
>        of [ WARN ] is yellow.
>
>     4: FAILURE - This is red.  Just like WARNING, the FAIL part of
>        [ FAIL ] is red.
>
>     5: INFO - This is cyan.  It is not used yet (hence this email)
>
>     6: BRACKET - This is blue.  You see this in the ['s.

You need to be careful about colors to support people who are
color-blind.  About 7% of all men are color blind to some degree.  If
you like, I have a close collogue who has a moderate amount of
color-blindness and I can ask for his opinion of a screen shot.

Also, when discussing boot scripts, I'd like to see the capability to
log the output to the screen.

  -- Bruce