udev [ -f /dev/.udev.tdb ] test

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 24 16:29:04 PDT 2004

El Vie 24 Sep 2004 22:53 Andy Neebel escrbió:

> I don't know about this, I have an SATA drive as my primary/only linux
> drive, and I can boot linux fine without need an initrd.  I don't know
> if I'm using libata or not ( I think so, is that what the 2.6 SATA
> drivers are based on? ) but I compile the drivers into my kernel and
> that seems to work fine.

In my system, QDI-P4I848P motherboard (chipset ICH5) with "Enchanced Mode"
activated in BIOS, and the libata driver compiled into the kernel (the SATA
ata_piix driver, not the PATA piix driver) I got a "kernel paninc: unable to
mount root filesystem" if I try to load the kernel directly, but boot fine
using a barebone initrd (created using the "initrd for LFS" hint from Jim
Gifford).

The same issue with my USB drive.

Not tested on an ALI-M5283 based card, the kernel don't have support for that
chipset yet :-(

I can't find good documentation about that, only personal experience using this
concret hardware.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS nº 2886: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/