udev [ -f /dev/.udev.tdb ] test

Andy Neebel aneebel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 18:06:12 PDT 2004

> In my system, QDI-P4I848P motherboard (chipset ICH5) with "Enchanced Mode"
> activated in BIOS, and the libata driver compiled into the kernel (the SATA
> ata_piix driver, not the PATA piix driver) I got a "kernel paninc: unable to
> mount root filesystem" if I try to load the kernel directly, but boot fine
> using a barebone initrd (created using the "initrd for LFS" hint from Jim
> Gifford).

Only thing that I can think of that may affect this is that the kernel
keeps changing what device nodes are used to access SATA drives.  For
the first couple 2.6 kernels is was /dev/sd*, then /dev/hd*, and now
2.6.8 is /dev/sd* again.  I don't know why it keeps changing, but it
usually screws up my booting because my fstab and root commands both
become broken

Andy