Chapter 6 - Version 6.0-testing-20040913 lists hint that will not work on system

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 25 04:33:19 PDT 2004

nicko wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Looked through the recent archives and didn't see anything - if i missed it, I
> apologise in advance.
>
> In page 6.1 - Introduction, the following (outdated) hint is listed:
>
> "For a package management method specifically geared towards LFS, we recommend
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt.""

Thanks for the report.  I'm not quite sure what the Right Thing to do is
here.  I think folks should be aware that package management _is_
possible with LFS.  Maybe we should just point them to
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/introduction/important.html#intro-important-pkgmgt
instead?

> This hint, written at the time of LFS 3.0, requires su to be installed,
> however sh-utils are not installed anymore in Chapter 5. Moreover, the hint
> does not include a script to replicate su until shadow is installed (unlike
> groupadd and useradd which are included).

More importantly, 'su' is no longer listed in
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/testing/longindex.html,
probably because when we removed the coreutils version, that text never
got moved over to chapter06/shadow.xml.  I'll bugzilla this so we don't
forget about it.

Thanks again,

Matt.