r4211 - branches/testing/BOOK/chapter06

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 25 14:26:07 PDT 2004

El Sáb 25 Sep 2004 22:26 Randy McMurchy escrbió:

>> -<seglistitem><seg>protocols and services</seg></seglistitem>
>> +<seglistitem><seg>/etc/protocols and /etc/services</seg></seglistitem>
>
> I too thought that these two files should have /etc before them.
> Until I thought about it and realized that no place else in the
> book is the path specified for the installed programs.
>
> What makes these two files so special?

They are plain text files, not binaries or scripts and there are no short
descriptions. Isn't intuitive that we are spoken about a file called
"protocols" and another file called "services". Without the "/etc/", look like
we are spoken about unknow files related with protocols and services features.

>> -    <primary sortas="a-iproute2">iproute2</primary>
>> +    <primary sortas="a-iproute2">Iproute2</primary>
>
> I believe the proper way to identify this package is all lower-case.
> At least this is how the developers and every documentation site on
> the 'net looks at it. Perhaps it's personal preference, though.

In that file there was used both lower and upper-case names. All the others
packages names are in upper-case. Done only for consistency. If the proper name
is in lower-case, then it should be changed in the full page.

> Should the production, soon-to-be-stable-version of LFS reflect
> a package in the BLFS SVN book? After BLFS-6.0 is released, the
> SVN instructions for DB could change to reflect something incompatible
> with LFS-6.0. I realize this is a catch-22. Current stable is wrong,
> and it could be that SVN will be wrong.

Yes, is a know issue that should be resolved before send the book to print.

> This should probably be "allows users ..."

Good catch, fixed ;-)

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS nº 2886: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/