Kernel Headers Nitpick

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 27 16:02:57 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> In chapter 5.7, Linux-2.6.8.1 Headers it says:
>
> "Because some packages need to refer to the kernel header files"
>
> What's the chance someone could go in and change "some packages"
> to whichever ones that actually use them (only Glibc, right?)

The problem with putting specifics in is that we'll invariably miss
something.  The only other case I know of is out-of-tree kernel drivers.
  I suppose putting currently known cases in parantheses might work, e.g.:

"Because some packages (e.g. glibc and out-of-tree kernel drivers) need
to refer to the kernel header files".

Having said that, glibc's _need_ for those headers is debatable, as some
folks (including a libc-hacker) have successfully built glibc against
the sanitized headers.

You like opening cans of worms today don't you :)

Matt.