problem loading modules

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Tue Sep 28 08:26:34 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>

>> echo "eth0" >> /etc/sysconfig/modules
>

> No. Please better list the actual module, e.g. 8139too. The reason is
> that using /etc/modprobe.conf (where you probably have alias eth0
> 8139too - please remove that) for specifying the list of your hardware
> is deprecated.

Alexander,
    Here is what the author of module-init-tools has to say on this
issue, he has been following this thread by my request.

Rusty Russell wrote:

Hi Jim,

	There's nothing wrong with "alias eth0 8139too" from a modprobe point
of view.  However, I believe the point your poster was trying to make is
that in 2.6 we expect the hotplug infrastructure to locate the hardware
and insert the module, rather than waiting for a reference to "eth0" to
cause the kernel to invoke modprobe.

I hope that clarifies,
Rusty.

--