PCMCIA on 6.0 bootcd

Andy Neebel aneebel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 20:19:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:52:46 -0700, Jeremy Utley <jeremy at jutley.org> wrote:

> Andy Neebel wrote:
>
> >Not sure what you want to do about this, but I'm trying to use the
> >bootcd on my laptop, which has no onboard network capabilities, so I
> >have to use pcmcia-cs usually.  I have learned that the pcmcia modules
> >are on the disc, and my sockets are automatically detected and the
> >drivers for them loaded, but I am unable to load drivers for my LAN
> >card.  I found the driver for it, and it loads, but nothing happens, I
> >can't find the eth device for it after it loads.
> >
> >I'm guess that this is how the cd is set up, but I think that you
> >should either install pcmcia-cs or remove all of the pcmcia drivers
> >completely
> >
> >Andy
> >

> 32-bit PCMCIA cards (cardbus cards) should be handled by hotplug.  What
> driver does your NIC use?  Will it detect properly if the card is
> inserted during start up?
>
> -J-
>
> --

No, it won't, but my card is an old 16 card.  the card is 3cxem556b,
it uses the 3c589_cs driver.  I tried booting with it installed, no
effect.  As far as I can tell/know the only way to intialize the card
is with pcmcia-cs, or be executing the same commands manually, but I
don't know what they are.

Andy