quick updates

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 30 13:44:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 19:52, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> What's the chances these patches will make it into LFS-6.0?

Not likely anymore. Work sucked me in again and I have to drive out to
Vancouver tomorrow morning. This is about 13-15 hours one-way so I'll be
gone a few days with driving and the things I have to do there. I am
going to put the ending edits into the book this afternoon/evening and
that's it then for LFS-6. The rest will just have to go in unstable and
for the next LFS version.

So, the final edits go in shortly and I will work on the layout right
away (page breaks and such). I have scheduled the final layout check to
be done on Tuesday (when i'm back from Vancouver). The book will be off
to the publisher soon after that (either Tuesday evening or Wednesday
depending on what time the checks are finished).

If there are any show stoppers that i'm not aware of because I haven't
been able to catch up with this list (and won't be able to until after
my trip), please forward those issues to me personally so I can deal
with it too.

If nothing else arrives in my inbox within the next few hours, then
consider LFS-6.0 final as of now.

If anybody feels things are a bit rushed, it's not rushed. The book has
had enough testing. Any outstanding issues are just textual at this
point in time, or non-urgent patches that just missed the cut-off date.
And if there are still textual issues remaining, well they again are
just minor ones that are mostly style issues more than anything (like
Bug #910). If LFS-6 isn't 100% perfect text wise, then 6.1 will be. We
have just reached a point where if we don't get this book out now, it
will never go out because things just keep coming up that would be nice
to have fixed too.