GCC4 Build Issue

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 2 05:11:56 PDT 2005

Greg Schafer wrote:
> GCC Makefile variable `XCFLAGS'. Something like the following sed (ONLY for
> GCC Pass2 and Ch 6 GCC) achieves the desired effect for me:
>
>   sed -i '/^XCFLAGS/s/$/ -fomit-frame-pointer/' gcc/Makefile.in

Please forgive me if I'm missing something here, but I'm not quite sure
I'm seeing how this could work.

# grep -c "XCFLAGS" Makefile.in
0

I ran the above on a freshly unpacked gcc-4.0.1 (I did that because I
didn't any difference in the Makefile produced with or without your sed,
so I went to see if the sed actually changed anything.)

In any case, what would be the difference between what you're trying to
accomplish with a sed and the results of something like:

make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer"

I noticed that in the resultant Makefile, we have CFLAGS = -g -O2 and
that it gets referenced in various places. I started (but didn't finish)
a build using the above command and it does indeed use those flags.

--
JH