GCC4 Build Issue

Robert Russell zoohoo.linux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 06:50:37 PDT 2005

On 8/2/05, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

<snip>

> > In any case, what would be the difference between what you're trying to
> > accomplish with a sed and the results of something like:
> >
> > make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
> Still curious about the difference of the sed vs. the above command...

The sed make the changes to the optimisations permanent, while the
environmental variable is temporary, it doesn't stay if you throw the
power switch, accidentaly kill the shell, or do something similar. If
you forget to use the CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer" with make
install you may possibly have something not built with those
optimisations, or at least my observation is that make install on gcc
seems to compile some more stuff.

If I have my conclusions wrong then correct them.

--
LFS ID #12355