[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Thu Aug 4 16:12:33 PDT 2005

Tushar Teredesai wrote these words on 08/04/05 17:59 CST:

> I would like to propose that before adding/removing packages from the
> book, we should formalize what packages can be included in the book
> (Jeroen had already started the process of formalizing the process
> before he left, maybe that should be revived). After formalizing, a
> decision can be made whether the current packages fit that criteria or
> not and then decide whether any new packages that are suggested fit in
> that criteria. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule

A noble thought. However, it appears that this idea has been
encountered before (years ago?) and nothing has been done about it.
I'm not so sure that a policy (which you are proposing) that requires
something that has been kicked around now for many, many months (at
least) and nothing has ever been done about, is a good thing.

In the meantime, your proposal stagnates any new consideration of
other packages. Perhaps if such a document was formalized, then your
idea would be very valuable. Reference the document, if it fits - do
it, if not - don't.

However, LFS history has shown that we cannot count on such a document
to become formalized.

--
Randy

18:06:01 up 124 days, 17:39, 2 users, load average: 1.07, 0.78, 0.39