[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Thu Aug 4 17:47:36 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/04/05 19:12 CST:

> This is a stretch. To the best of my knowledge, all the CrackLib
> library does is check that the password a user enters during the
> password changing routine does not match something in the user's
> entry in /etc/passwd and the password dictionary.

This may not be totally accurate. Upon reflection, it dawns on me
that the CrackLib library may also check for re-used passwords and
passwords too similar to the previous one. However, these are not
"password policies cracklib likes". This is the default functionality
of the CrackLib library.

I have not looked at the source code for the fascistcheck function
(which provides most of CrackLib's password checking ability), so
there very well may be other things it checks to ensure that the
password a user selects is "secure".

--
Randy

19:43:00 up 124 days, 19:16, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.20