[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 4 18:01:15 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Should we only do what other Distros do? Can LFS not be innovative
> and take a lead in something, and have other Distros follow us?

That's not really what I meant to imply. Of course I'm not all about
just doing what everyone else is doing - if I were I wouldn't be
associated with this project at all. :) But I think there is some merit
in having as core the utilities and functionality that people are more
or less familiar with. As an example, I came across a post in some forum
somewhere where a user was perplexed at how we managed to set up the
network on the LiveCD without there being ifconfig anywhere on the CD.
:) (Don't read this as a cry for the restoration of net-tools...)

> Surely Distros must use CrackLib, I mean the Shadow and Linux-PAM
> packages natively support it. I'm not sure they would if nobody
> used CrackLib. Right?

*shrug* Seems reasonable.

> None that I can think of, unless forcing you to be the root user
> to make your password "Jeremy" on your local system is a
> disadvantage. :-)

pfff. I would *never* use "Jeremy" as a password. I always swap my 'e's
for '3's like any l33t user should ;)

--
JH