[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Thu Aug 4 21:59:42 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>There really is no choices given in LFS Chapter 5 or 6, unless you want
>to consider the text in the Vim instructions to be a choice. We suggest
>a build method. It is up to the reader to follow, or not follow the
>suggestions.

Ok, I can see what you mean.

>You are entitled to your opinion, thanks for offering it. Though I
>cannot see why you think that by installing *one* simple library, and
>the accompanying dictionary, is something that we would not want to
>suggest in the default LFS build, seeing how it plugs such a big
>security gap in the current LFS build.

Glad to offer my opinion.  Secure passwords are important, agreed.
However the users of the LFS system are varying.  A user who built LFS
for the educational value or who wants a different password library or
who uses it on a stand-alone system, shouldn't have to install a
password library if it isn't needed/wanted/required.

Justin