[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 4 22:18:11 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:01:16AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I respect your opinion that it isn't needed, however, it would be
> much easier to understand if you gave just *one* reason why you
> think it wouldn't be a good thing.

I have already stated it. There is no *technical* reason for including
it in a base development system. That is enough for me. Your reasons for
including it are accurate, but you are disregarding the fact that it is
*not* necessary. This screams of hint material, which would truly be a
win-win situation.

BTW, out of the 70-odd boxes I manage, I would use (and do use) cracklib
on exactly one of them. That box also uses PAM, so even it would be
moot.

But alas, I am not speaking from personal needs as I would add several
BLFS packages to LFS as well as remove a few. I am trying to see this
objectively and that forces me to see this as perfect hint material with
a link in the book because, frankly, this *is* an optional package. If I
understood your posts in this thread accurately, you do not care for
tagging packages as optional in the book. I don't either (for LFS). As
such, cracklib has already disqualified itself on that basis.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs