[RFC] Add CrackLib to Chapter 6 LFS

Kev Buckley k.buckley at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 07:37:43 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote on a possible "securing" of LFS by moving away
from the inetutils binaries and concluded:

> Whilst researching this was quite enlightening, I think that such system
> hardening really does fall into "your distro, your rules".  Clients such
> as ftp and telnet are still largely useful, and therefore I think it
> should be up to each sysadmin to determine whether they definitely do
> not require the functionality they provide.

That's exactly what I was getting at when I became bold enough to
suggest that the arguments that might be used to not specify more
secure versions of existing utils within LFS would be ones that could
surely be applied to other add-ons such as CrackLib too.

--
Regards,

*  Kevin M. Buckley              e-mail: K.Buckley at lancaster.ac.uk   *
*  Systems Administrator                                             *
*  Computer Centre                                                   *
*  Lancaster University          Voice:  +44 (0) 1524 5 93718        *
*  LANCASTER. LA1 4YW            Fax  :  +44 (0) 1524 5 25113        *
*  England.                                                          *
*  My PC runs Linux/GNU, you still computing the Bill Gate$' way ?   *