[RFC] On LFS' Package Selection Policy

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Aug 5 08:28:16 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
>

> I like it. It's essentially all the questions we've been asking already,
> but it's nice to have it listed as such. Does this mean we go back and
> run all our current packages through the ringer now? :P
>
> Which reminds me, we might want to consider what to do about hotplug in
> the near future. The latest version is nearly a year old and hotplug-ng
> seems to be dead (Alexander pointed this out to me).

hotplug-ng _is_ dead, superseded by the MODALIAS environment variable
available in hotplug events and sysfs in linux >= 2.6.12 and some udev
magic.

As to hotplug and udev, there is the following argument against them:
any troubleshooting on the lists or on IRC starts with building a
non-modular kernel, i.e. essentially with getting those packages out of
the way. Thus, the educational value is at least dubious.

I hope that avdantages (like hardware autodetection and persistent names
for USB storage devices) overweigh this, but your opinion may be different.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov