[RFC] On LFS' Package Selection Policy

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 6 04:12:12 PDT 2005

M.Canales.es wrote:

> On that table there is, among others, "crontab", "mailx" or "sendmail", that
> don't look very appropriate for a base development system.

I realise that.  My initial proposal wasn't saying "We must implement
everything mandated by the FHS, LSB and POSIX standards".  It was
intended to be read as "Does the proposed package provide utilities that
are mandated by those standards".  The idea being that fulfilling such
criteria *may* help to add weight to the proposal.  Having said that,
obviously if someone suggests adding Sendmail (or some other MTA) to the
book, it'd be thrown out on the basis of the other criteria.

Regards,

Matt.