Shadow/CrackLib - A compromise?

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 7 22:44:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 12:03:48AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion. I am tired and not thinking good this
> evening. Of course, the disconnection you mentioned means we need the
> command before the sed later in the instructions when /etc/login.defs
> is created.
>
> Perhaps a note there as well?

This is what I was referring to. A second note box.

> It does now make the instructions rather disjointed though, with
> two different notes about CrackLib in there. Opinions from others
> are welcome.

Agreed, but one may want to consider both linker adjustment pages which
contain a note, an important, and a caution. Chap6 gcc contains an
important and a note (albeit the note is after the commands).

I will hold off until more people have a chance to comment, but I have
managed to significantly shorten the sed without loss of education.

As soon as the render is done, you can find the "2 notes" example here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~archaic/lfs-trunk/chapter06/shadow.html

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch