System clock hastening

Jens Olav Nygaard jens_olav.nygaard at chello.no
Mon Aug 8 11:14:42 PDT 2005

My system clock seems to gain an extra five minutes per hour,
as reported by 'date' compared to 'hwclock --show'.
(The hw clock seems to be reasonably accurate.)
(The gain also seems to be dependent on what I do, eg., if
the system is just idle, the system clock doesn't gain as
much.)

Googling around, I've seen some folks having had some luck
with a boot parameter 'no_timer_check', but their problem
has been a clock going twice as fast as it should. (!)
Most info I find is about adjusting for drift in the hw clock,
not the system clock.

I have CONFIG_RTC=y and CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y but not
CONFIG_HPET set. (Just grep'ed the .config, these are not
particularly conscious choices. Except the first one.)

Any ideas?

(System is x86_64, SMP/SMT, kernel is 2.6.12.3.)