System clock hastening

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 8 15:34:41 PDT 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:
> > My system clock seems to gain an extra five minutes per hour,
> <snip>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Yep, I just use ntp (see BLFS).  My hardware clock seems to gain even
> when the system is switched off!  I have a bootscript that syncs the
> clock to an ntp server at bootup, ntpd runs whilst the box is up, and
> the hardware clock is set to the same time as the software clock on
> shutdown.

 My desktops are both using ntp against a local server with similar
constraints on the hwclock.  Every boot shows a difference - usually
less than a second if I'm rebooting to try a new kernel or whatever,
sometimes a bit longer if that box has been powered off.  That's just
the way it works, unless somebody knows differently.

Ken