Cross LFS - Pure 64 - Bootloaders [RFC]

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Aug 10 14:18:51 PDT 2005

I've been working on our cross-lfs build methods quite a bit lately, but
have ran into some dead ends when it comes to the bootloaders for all
the architectures we support. None of them will build properly on a Pure
64 bit system. The only way I see to get around this is to build some 32
bit tools and utilize the gcc -m32 for the bootloader builds.

I want the communities input before I make this type of change, or if
they have some other suggestions.

Changes that would need to be done to Cross-LFS would be the following.
/lib would be 64 bit and /lib32 would be 32 bit.

x86_64, MIPS
Build 32 bit glibc
Build a multilib gcc

Sparc64
Build 32 bit e2fsprogs libraries
Build 32 bit glibc
Build a multilib gcc

As you probably see from my post about Grub 1.90, the new version of
Grub build on a 64 Bit system, but utilizing gcc -m32.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com