Proposal: proactive search for autofoo bugs

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Mon Aug 15 04:03:59 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> The two cases (forgotten config.h.in entry and obsolete code) cannot
> be distinguished from each other automatically. One of them is a bug.

I thought manually setting up config.h.in was obsolete -- aren't people
supposed to be using AC_DEFINE/AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED in their configure.ac
file, and then have autoheader take those declarations and turn them
into config.h.in files?

Depending on the developers' version of autoheader, it might be possible
to fix this by just running it on either configure.ac or configure.in
(for the packages that still use the old filename).

This probably won't tell us which packages needed it to run, but it will
fix it.  So maybe run the first pipeline first, and then run autoheader
to fix the problem if the pipeline shows that something's wrong.