Do we need hotplug?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 16 11:56:35 PDT 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:

> make udevdir=/dev EXTRAS=extras/firmware &&
> make udevdir=/dev EXTRAS=extras/firmware install

Based on the fact that I don't think any hardware that requires such
firmware loading will be fully functional without BLFS packages, I'm not
sure we want/need to alter our instructions or rules.  I'm open to
further arguments*, of course.  This is similar to the debate we had not
so long back regarding audio devices; although one can `cat' files to
one's audio device, full audio functionality isn't possible without BLFS
packages.  Therefore we decided that the audio rules should be removed
from LFS' udev rules.  This hasn't happened yet, as I think it was going
to be tackled as part of/alongside bug 1032.

Matt.