Bogus usage of gcc --print-file

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 16 18:51:49 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Therefore, in order to change GCC's default specs file, I still think we
> need to 1) dump them (as gcc-4.x no longer installs a specs file) 2)
> change the relevant specs and 3) Place the updated specs file in
> whatever directory GCC searches for its default specs in.

Correct. 3) is the key ie: it ensures sanity.

Steve's way will work too.. but then you'd have to ensure that GCC was
always called as `gcc -specs=tempfile' which is way too fragile.

BTW, if you're careful, the above general technique also works flawlessly
for GCC-3.4.x. That way you can have a cmd that works identically for both
GCC-3.4.x and GCC-4.x. See the DIY temptools adjustment for an example.
By using -dumpspecs, you can also lose the SPECFILE variable as there is
no need for it thus simplifying the cmd even further.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/