Remove inetutils from LFS [was Re: GCC-4.0.1]

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sat Aug 20 13:18:22 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> The clients that inetutils installs either have more secure alternatives
> (in the form of sftp, ssh, etc.) or are obscure enough (e.g. 'talk') to
> be in the realm of hint material.  The only exceptions to this I can
> think of are the ftp client and ping binary.  One could interpret the
> FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SPECIFICOPTIONS2) as
> requiring '/bin/ping', because we set up basic networking in LFS.  Aside
> from that, we don't actually need any networking utilities at all.
> chapter09/reboot.html already tells folks they probably want to compile
> some common packages whilst still in the chroot environment.  Mentioning
> an FTP client here to complement the existing pointer to a web browser,
> is trivial enough.

I think some kind of ftp client is really an important part of the basic
LFS system.  Without it, there is no reasonable way to get other
packages.  Of course we can always have the user get the packages from
another system via sneakernet or a reboot to another package, but that
leaves me uncomfortable.  Although not optimal, there should be *some*
way of continuing from a successful reboot into LFS into BLFS or some
other collection of packages via a network connection.

There are other alternatives of course.  Wget or a text based browser
come to mind.

  -- Bruce