Remove inetutils from LFS [was Re: GCC-4.0.1]

Ag Hatzim zkom.xl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 15:19:09 PDT 2005

Tushar Teredesai(sukucorp at gmail.com)@Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 05:06:02PM -0500:
> On 8/20/05, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, if there are no plans to remove inetutils, we might was well keep
> > > the utils such as ftp and telnet that it current installs.
> >
> > But that was one of the reasons I was proposing we remove it.  'ftp'
> > simply doesn't compile out of the box on the gcc4 branch, and the only
> > patch we have causes it to segfault when issuing any command to it!
> > Upstream applied the patch, then reverted it shortly afterwards when
> > they realised it was the wrong fix.  Unfortunately the right fix still
> > hasn't materialised (and I'm not qualified to be able to engineer the
> > fix myself).
>
> For gcc4 branch, for the time being the book could add a --disable-ftp
> option and state the reason why it is disabled. Hopefully by the time
> the gcc4 branch is ready for release, a fix would be available.

I went throuch cvs...and compiling inetutils with the default book options,compiling
fails.
If you add the --disable-ftp option,then is builted fine,even without the
patch.

In the stable release even with the --disable-ftp option,compiling will
fail if you don't apply the patch which is in the book.

That's why i mentioned netkit-ftp,as a workaround for them that they
would like a ftp client during their build,some kind of a temporary
solution.

But as Bruce Dubbs mentioned,i think that wget and possible a text browser
must be included in the Lfs book.

Matthew.
My respects to you.
I would never thought to look into the iputils Makefile.
It's like an old saying from my country.
"Old fox is 100 years old...the baby fox is 110?" :-)

Regards.