GCC-4.0.1

Kev Buckley k.buckley at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 02:50:48 PDT 2005

>  Thanks for the info. I think this is more serious than the ftp
> issue. I couldn't remember what my partitions are laid out like so I
> thought I'd have a look...
>
> andy:~$ su
> Password:
> root:/home/andy# cfdisk
> Segmentation fault
> root:/home/andy#
>
> DOH!
> I edited the configure script to set the CFLAGS to -O and recompiled
> and it's working fine now. To me, cfdisk is a much more important
> system function than ftp. The gcc-4 book should set the optimisation
> to -O by default, perhaps with
>
> sed -i 's at CFLAGS-"-O2"@CFLAGS-"-O"@g' configure

If only one utility from a package is causing a problem, wouldn't to
be better to recompile that utility with a specific flag set rather
than drop the optimisation on everything across the whole build ?

Just my threepen'th,

(though I guess this posting might be considered more of a

    "why spoil the ship for a ha'p'th of tar"

 for those of you who speak old-money)

--
Regards,

*  Kevin M. Buckley              e-mail: K.Buckley at lancaster.ac.uk   *
*  Systems Administrator                                             *
*  Computer Centre                                                   *
*  Lancaster University          Voice:  +44 (0) 1524 5 93718        *
*  LANCASTER. LA1 4YW            Fax  :  +44 (0) 1524 5 25113        *
*  England.                                                          *
*  My PC runs Linux/GNU, you still computing the Bill Gate$' way ?   *