Remove inetutils from LFS [was Re: GCC-4.0.1]

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Aug 23 12:14:58 PDT 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Matt,
>    Which direction do we want to go in.
>
>   Removal of inetutils ->
>       Replace with netkit_base and netkit_combo? (Same as what
> inetutils is)
>          Pros - Works with all architectures(cross-lfs, known
> to be stable)
>          Cons - Needs heavy patching to work (I know one of the
> client's has about 10 patches)  Not Maintained
>       Replace with netkit_base and netkit_ftpd? (With just a ftp
> client)
>          Pros - Small Simple - Works
>          Cons - Not Maintained
>       Replace with iputils and (some ftp client)?
>          Pros - Has IPV6 support
>          Cons - Not Maintained

I see that the files were last updated in 2002.  However, does the
functionality need updates?  It seems the only changes needed are those
to imposed by changing compilers and external headers.

>                 May have to add packages to support ftp client

Personally, I would like to use the ping and perhaps ping6 programs from
iputils and move ncftp from blfs to lfs.  ncftp has no prereqs.

  -- Bruce