7.0-cross-lfs-20050818-x86_64 section 10.3 glibc installation

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 23 13:24:43 PDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:
>
>> Ken, Ryan, Doug, and others
>>
>> Do we need to make a change here for the pure64 build, or is further
>> testing needed?

  Well, I've got through this part now, using 20050821, building pure64
from my own pure64.  The ldd problem that bit Doug didn't affect me (and
my RTLDLIST has /lib/ld-linux.so.2 and /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2).

  Unfortunately, it looks as if glibc decided not to respect
--libdir=/lib for me - all the libraries went into /lib64 which caused
binutils' configure-libiberty to fail with the misleading "if you want
to cross compile" message.

  Actually, that's not true - /usr/lib has libc.a, the crt stuff, gconv/
plus a load of .so files which turn out to be symlinks to /lib64.  But
all of the shared objects are in /lib64 and /lib is empty.  So --libdir
seems to affect the libraries that would ordinarily go into /usr/lib*
but not the libraries that go into lib*.

  I'm puzzled, Doug appeared to have got past this because he queried the
gcc instructions.  I think he said he'd be away this week, so I'm not
waiting for an answer.

  I think that one of my patches used to hack this, but I'll take a more
detailed look at glibc to see if it's amenable to other means of putting
this stuff in /lib.  That will be after I've started over (this time
I'll take a backup before installing libc).

Ken