--disable-nls

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 23 19:13:07 PDT 2005

Hi

The explanation in Ch 5 Binutils Pass1 for --disable-nls says:

"This disables internationalization as i18n is not needed for the temporary
tools."

This is misleading because only the Pass1's of Binutils and GCC are passed
`--disable-nls'. For the statement to be accurate, `--disable-nls' would
need to be passed to all pkgs during Ch 5 that can handle it.

It's a hangover from the days when the Pass1's of Binutils and GCC were
statically linked. (NLS was known to break compilation on some hosts when
linking statically).

You need to either:

 1) remove --disable-nls from Pass1's of Binutils and GCC (and explanation).

   or

 2) fix the explanation to reflect reality.

   or

 3) pass --disable-nls to every pkg in Ch 5 that can handle it.

<slightly OT>
It's possible to disable NLS globally by using a config.site file. I use
this technique in the DIY build.. but I suppose it's likely the LFS goals
would deem it unsuitable for use in LFS.
</slightly OT>

Regards
Greg
--