--disable-nls

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 23 20:34:50 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:13:07PM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
>>
>> "This disables internationalization as i18n is not needed for the temporary
>> tools."
>
> This is an accurate statement.

True.

But it's not accurate in the context I described. If it's to stay it
should at least be clarified. ie: enhanced to explain why only the pass1's
of Binutils and GCC are given `--disable-nls'.

>> It's a hangover from the days when the Pass1's of Binutils and GCC were
>> statically linked. (NLS was known to break compilation on some hosts
>> when linking statically).
>
> No it was found that glibc would require gettext if binutils was built
> with nls. (Of course, that is if my memory isn't too fuzzy.)

Huh? Are you saying that if Binutils-pass1 was built with NLS then the
Glibc build would fail because of a missing Gettext? That makes no sense
whatsoever (to me at least). Glibc definitely does not require Gettext.
Feel free to clarify the details.. fuzzy memory permitting :-)

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/