--disable-nls

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 23 20:45:52 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> No, it was added deliberately in order to avoid binutils dependency on
> the host gettext.

So Binutils won't build with NLS if Gettext is missing on the host?
Hmmm, interesting. Is this a FSF or HJL thing or both? I've just noticed
that Binutils-pass2 also has --disable-nls. Hmm, OK. That is certainly
good reason to pass '--disable-nls'.

The original point remains. The explanation needs clarification.

> How about:
>
> "This avoids dependency on gettext being installed on the host. Since we
> set LC_ALL=POSIX during the entire chapter 5, NLS would not be used
> anyway even if enabled."

That's better than the current text for sure.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/